Monday, March 12, 2007

Gross

So I sit here at my desk at work in a state where even I consider myself gross. As you may, or may not, be aware yesterday was ridiculously hot here in Bris Vegas. As I left home this morning I saw the weather report on the TV that said today was going to be 34 degrees... I believe I said something to the effect of "that's not very funny" to Brett as I walked out the door, he simply laughed in agreement.

As I step outside I think it's not too hot yet, at this time it was ohhh say 8:10am, and I begin to walk to the train station. It is then that I discover that it is reasonably warm, not hot as such maybe, but there was a baking kinda heat going on whenever you stood in direct sunlight.

Getting to Fairfield railway station I again mumble at Queensland Rail's incompetence. Basically there is no shelter available at the best of times, at this time of the morning with the platform reasonably full of people there is even less. I take up a spot leaning up against the fence and turn so my back is to the sun and try to shield myself from the sun. Thankfully a breeze stirs up and I'm in a near heavenlike state, the thin sheen of sweat covering me felt pleasantly cool... that is, until I stepped onto the train...

This is where my usual other gripe with QR comes in. Let's remember it's now 8:20am on a weekday, I'm about to get on a train that arrives in the city at about 08:37am... do you think this will be a popular service? Quite obviously it is. On top of that there hasn't been a train in 20 minutes so it's been a while in between trains... think a few ppl might want to catch it? Quite obviously they will.

There are now ppl flooding the platform at Fairfield ready to board the train and up rocks the usual 3 carriage train. Looking into the doors it is quite obvious the train is already very full and it's highly likely there will not be enough room for all the ppl @ Fairfield to get on. I jump on and squeeze in. It's then that I discover, after a few minutes, that this train has very little air con! By the end of the trip I can feel droplets of sweat running down my back and I am boiling. Looking around there are guys standing around me, and close to me, with sweat beads dripping down their faces, even women standing around me are perspiring visibly.

When the doors open at Central it's like a tidal wave as ppl try to get out as fast as they can. I by now feel like I've just been rained on almost. I touch my back and my hand comes away with a touch of moisture, I know it's drenched. Feeling very self concious I begin the walk to my work up the hills and trying to not let ppl get a good glance at me.

I arrive at work and head straight for the mens room. I know it's bad when I touch the front of my shirt against my chest and when I take my hand away there is a dark stain where it touched my skin. I turn, and sure enough, my entire back is one very dark and very visible sweat stain. As I apply some deodarant the front of my shirt scrunches up and sweat marks appear all over it. I slink to my desk as quickly as possible and sit down hoping to avoid anyone looking at me.

Sure I'm making it probably sound worse than it was but it was gross, plain and simple. Queensland Rail should be shot for a) sending a mini when a limo was required for that amount of ppl and b) having enough air con on for a 20 degree day... all in all not a fun, or pleasant, start to my week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home