Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Footy Training

So Dunc, Ben & I attended our first footy training session tonight. It's only pre-pre season training at the moment but 11 guys still showed up. Funnily enough I think they said 5 or 6 of those were new players to the club.

Anyway we did a 2.5km run which was made up of three laps to the corner and back on the road outside the club. Unfortunately not long after the run started it was obvious to me that I stank and ppl were pulling away leaving me to run solo. Not that I'm whinging or expected anything different but I was mildly surprised at just how quickly it happened. I don't think I've ever run 2.5km in my life so I guess in the end I didn't do too badly. 15 minutes 50 was by far the slowest time but gives me a goal to aim at when it comes to improvement. I think it might help if I didn't have to keep stopping to walk all the time :p

After that we played soccer, which wouldn't have been my choice given my hatred of said sport but that's what the team did so I toed the team line. Thankfully it was on a smaller than standard field because with only 6 on 5 I would have had a hernia on a normal field. Long story short I kicked the winning goal.

Getting no respect from defenders I ran down the wing, got passed the ball, dribbled towards goal, attempted a cross left footed across goal to a free man on the other wing and full on hit a defender in the chest. Thankfully it rebounded in my direction and, according to Ben as it was all instinct for me, I controlled the ball, set the shot and, left footed again, slotted the winner!

Which left me with 1 goal and Ben, the soccer player, with none. Cop it! :p

All in all I feel very good for having gone to training. Sure I was by far the worst runner and my fitness levels are comparatively poor but I went and am not too ashamed of my effort. I turned up and tried, and can only get better... in fact I'm looking forward to seeing improvements in my fitness.

Also looking forward to turning up to 9 a side on Thursday night and catching up with more team members.

Edit: Just realised I didn't include much info on the footy. We're going to play AFL for the Yeronga Football Club next year. So now you know :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home