Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Form

Form is such a fluctuating thing. The last couple of Tuesdays, and even Thursdays at 7 a side, I've felt that I've been out of form when it comes to playing the game of Aussie Rules.

My kicking is struggling, my marking is struggling and generally I don't feel confident anymore as a result... which means it is only going to get worse. Is it possible that I am getting worse instead of better? Is it temporary and when I get back into the full swing of twice a week training plus games on weekends that it'll return? These are the things that I'm pondering somewhat.

If I continue to train as I did last night I'll be playing 4ths for Yeronga next year... and yes there is no 4ths at Yeronga. I was absolutely shithouse. Every kick I attempted I either stabbed the ground with my foot, it came off the side of my foot, it wobbled towards the target and didn't make the distance or just sprayed off in some entirely wrong direction. I'm not setting myself up well in other's eyes for my desire to play 2s next year that's for damn sure.

In my defence I just wasn't in the zone mentally last night. I rocked up late to training, I had little sleep and felt drained and just couldn't get going. But basically I felt like I shouldn't have bothered showing up and I was worse off for showing up than I would have been sitting at home.

7 a side I've been playing ok but dropping marks and not quite putting in 100% commitment when it comes to making a hit or getting to my opponent to put pressure on his possession, or attempt to gain possession.

Hopefully it's all just a temporary form/motivation/whatever thing and it'll pass. For now I'm desperately clinging to that famous Aussie Rules quote "You're only as good as your last game" in an effort to maintain some level of reputation as being able to somewhat play this game. For those that don't know the 3rds last game of the season I was awarded Best on Ground in the official vote and kicked my highest ever tally of 3 goals. Hopefully, at some point, that sort of form can return...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home