Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Torture.

So despite the fact that there are laws in this world such as The Geneva Conventions and The Universal Declaration of Human Rights it seems torturing fellow human beings isn't as outlawed as it should be. Well at least not if you're an AFL Footy coach it seems.

Last night's AFL training was torture, plain and simple. There is no better word to describe it. My biceps, triceps, part of my pecs and the backs of my shoulders are all twingey and wincing with pain... even now over 24 hours later. Anytime I try to use arm strength to do the simplest thing, say raise my arms above my head, it hurts. Not a huge amount of pain but pain nonetheless.

All day it was bad but I thought it was getting better. But after driving to my parents place and back and finally sitting down to relax it is hurting again.

Without being told how far the distances were, and being a complete mong when it comes to guessing distances, the following is my best guess at the training involved. We went to South Bank for training, fully expecting some running and maybe a social swim after. Turns out swimming was not a social event but a core part of the evening's exercise.

Starting out we had to swim the width of one of the lagoon pools and back, I would say this was about 30-40 metres of swimming. Then, after leaving the water, we had to don our shoes and a shirt (aint no way I was running around South Bank topless!) and jog for about 150 metres to an area designated where we were to do 10 dips. Then jog over about 10 metres to a part of sandy beach and do 10 sit ups. Finally, more jogging (about 20 metres), back to the pool where we started for 10 push ups.

Not too bad? Well we had to do that FIVE times, count them... 1 *gasp*, 2 *pant*, 3 *vomit*, 4 *faint* then *faint, vomit, gasp, pant* fucking 5 times!! AARRRGGHH!!

Needless to say I finished last by a very large distance. In fact Ben and I were only on our 2nd or 3rd lap when the first guy to finish finished his 5! Unbelievable. Thanks to Ben for hanging back with me and keeping me company even though I know he could have done it faster.

Next week's training is at Yeronga Pool and is a strength session. Which means much, much more muscle pain for me next week. *sob* Please someone kill me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home