Friday, December 14, 2007

Bye bye 7 a side

Well last night saw the end of the social 7 a side comp I've been running a team in. Quite enjoyable in the last few games but I did find it a bit hard early on to get into it and enjoy it.

Chatting to a few of the boys last night and it is amazing how important that cliched "Match fitness" is. The first few games I struggled to recover from little darts around the field. Towards the end I was recovering faster and still running at the end of the game. I found that in the latter half of the proper season this year too. Match fitness is not just a myth.

Now I get to look forward to the long few months ahead before any footy is available to play or watch. Sure pre-season will start about the 11th January or something like that but our first matches, even of the practice variety, won't be for a month or more after that. So what to do in the meantime?

I guess I'll continue to attend the voluntary training on Tuesday nights, but that ends next week. I'll then have to try and go for a bit of a run and keep up some level of push ups/sit ups etc in the meantime to tide me over until pre-season. And then the pain begins.

Still at a much improved level of fitness from last year so here's hoping that a full pre-season awaits and it knocks me into even better shape before the matches begin. And then here's hoping that match fitness kicks in sometime quickly after that and I can get cracking on playing good footy.

1 Comments:

At 6:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I reckon you should go for some evening bike rides down by the river. It's keeping me fit riding to and from work, but as it's about 30 degrees hotter over there I don't recommend that. It's all about cross training, and if it's good enough for aka, it's gotta be good enough for you :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home