Monday, December 18, 2006

My new home away from home?

Tonight I attended the opening of what the Brisbane Lions have hoped will become my, as for all members, home away from home... the new "Lions Den" or "Brisbane Lions Social Club". Situated at the back of the Chalk Hotel and just a short stroll to the Gabbatoir I was very keen to check this place out. If done well I could see many an after match beer being partaken here and even, as Rhonda suggested, trips to the Social Club to watch away games in a Lions friendly atmosphere.

Unfortunately the whole place left me with an unimpressed feeling. Firstly in it's size. Now I know they have limited physical space on the block of land they are on but I've seen other football clubs "Leagues Clubs" and even substandard clubs have a bigger sized one. Secondly by the fact that half the physical space is taken up by row after row of pokies. Again sure they are the main source of revenue from the place but still!

There is a room, which I am going to call small, made up of the obligatory club memorabilia. Most of your stock standard, run of the mill style memorabilia that any average Joe can purchase like so (i.e. framed photos and the like):



There is also the history flashback to the good old days with a display of the past jerseys worn by the club (yes note the lack of Fitzroy jerseys):



But amongst the dross there is some quality memorabilia, namely this, the coolest thing you will ever see... yup, that's right... 3, count them, 3!! AFL Premiership Cups sitting side by side.





I still imagine an after match beer there or maybe a dinner or two on an away game night but overall I don't think it will be my home away from home like the Lions wanted. Great idea it's just a shame the implementation of the idea wasn't up to my expectations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home