Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Internet Outage Explained

So do we all remember the fun I had during my internet outage? If not take a refresher course here. Well it seems I might have finally found an answer to what caused it all. So what do you think? Modem fault? Or TPG fuck up?

Well in a weird kind of way it seems to have been a case of, a little from column A and a little from column B. After a weekend of some pretty heavy downloading I decided to check my account usage on the TPG website. I log in, access my usage information and see my plan listed as "ADSL2+/30GB Heavy". This is some surprise to me as I am only signed up to TPG with a 1.5Mb plan not ADSL2. Then I remember correcting the support guy when he muttered something about ADSL2 and telling him I'm not a ADSL2 customer.

Anyway so I am at this point starting to wonder about what is going on and start going through as much of my account email as possible on the website. I find a link to the "Post Office" which is presumably a way I can collect email from my TPG email addresses if I should want to. Sure enough, contained within, is a bunch of email dating back as far as the 21st of September telling me "We are pleased to inform you that your application to migrate to our new ADSL2+ plan has been confirmed." This is stranger still considering I never applied for anything of that nature. It seems it all got fully cutover the day I got my new modem and started playing which is probably why it was a bit flaky early on my new modem...

I rang TPG yesterday to be told I was labelled as an "add on customer" and it has something to do with the fact my contract was coming up for renewal or some such so they upgraded me for nothing. No contract change over fees, no restart of contracts just an upgrade. Which is all well and good but if I had actually known about it I would have known my old ADSL modem would not have worked once it was cut over and saved myself a lot of grief. What is also funny is that I told the support guy what kind of modem I had and he never once said anything about me using an ADSL modem on an ADSL2 line...

Anyway I've got ADSL2 without asking for it. It's $10 a month cheaper, I get 5 extra GB downloads a month and didn't pay any cutover fees. All in all I'm not too annoyed... I just wish a couple of email that got sent to me required some form of reply from me to say go ahead and they didn't just go do it anyway... but as I said I'm quite happy on ADSL2 now :)

3 Comments:

At 12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet! ADSL 2 rocks........ do you know what runs really well on ADSL 2?

 
At 12:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've done it again. That was from Brett of course......

-Brett

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

No Brett, I don't know... what runs really well on ADSL2? :p

Why don't you post this suggestion in the "*sigh*" blog entry below where I am seeking comments on what to spend my overtime on :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home