Thursday, March 29, 2007

Is this fair?

One of the current headlines on foxsports.com.au is this:

GRANT Hackett will contest the world 1500m freestyle world championship, despite a woeful 800m effort last night that saw him finish second last.

Now before I say anything I'd like to go on record as saying I don't particularly like Grant Hackett normally so I feel I'm unbiased in this comment which is...

Is this headline fair? Here we have a multi time world champion, multi time Olympic medallist, multi time World/Australian record holder being sledged on an Australian newspaper website which called his effort in a final "woeful".

Let's not forget that Grant has already raced in this meet in the heats, semis and final of other events and still has his pet event, the 1500m, to come. On top of that let's point out that this is the World Championships and coming 7th in the final at least gives you the title of being the 7th best 800m swimmer in the entire world!! Again I'll ask my question, is that headline fair?

Also I agree with something Brett said earlier this morning when the sports report was on Sunrise and the headline was about Grant coming 7th. Brett pointed out to me that Craig Stevens, another Australian swimmer, came 3rd and collected the bronze medal! So how about we stop sledging a champion for being woeful when he wasn't and start praising a young Aussie who managed to come third in a World Championship final!

Come on Australian media wake up and smell the coffee!! >(

2 Comments:

At 8:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mick - small correction mate - Craig, not Scott, Stevens.

-Brett

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Damn Dream Team!!! I've been thinking about Scott Stevess (Adelaide Crows) for a while now and blurted out his name instead! Damn it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home