Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Summer's first thunderstorm

Today saw us experience what was, hopefully the first of many, summer's first thunderstorm. It was a corker too!! I was sitting at my desk when it hit. You should have been in my office at the time to see the pandemoneum it caused!

Our normally drawn blinds went straight up and people without the privilege of sitting near a window crowded around to see. On top of that, as usual whenever a storm is in the offing, our proxy servers got hammered by people trying to access the Bureau of Meteorology website. This time it got so bad we crashed our ISPs proxy server with requests!! Awesome!!

Back to the storm though and it was kewl. We had a slightly greenish tinge to the sky and we got little hailstones, which caused more chaos as people ran for their cars. The wind was whipping up its own frenzy and for most of the time the rain appeared to be falling horizontally to the ground! At one point we were watching, hey I never said I didn't cram a window like someone who had never seen rain before, and the wind changed direction with it travelling horizontally to the right originally and then, suddenly, horizontally to the left.

As stated in a previous post I love thunderstorms, I was tempted to go out and stand under some cover outside just to get closer to the action, but refrained myself... just. Hopefully this is an indication that our usual Australian summer storm season is well underway and we can expect more to come... god knows we need the rain!!

4 Comments:

At 6:11 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Brisbane is not a catchment area for the dams. We get enough rain to keep the grass greenish. So to say we need the rain is a complete fabrication.

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm not an idiot Benjamin. I know Brisbane isn't a catchment area.

I disagree with you when you say we get enough rain and am mildly offended that my belief is being written off as a "complete fabrication".

I'll happily admit that "enough rain" is a subjective phrase and we disagree on that... I would appreciate the same level of courtesy :)

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Just to point out you said "god knows we need the rain", which is what I was referring to. It's a pet hate of mine, people saying we need rain, which is the fabrication. Thanks to the wonders of modern plumbing, we don't need it living in Brisbane :)

Probably should have left out that middle sentence to make it clearer....

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Maybe I should worded my response better too.

What I meant to say was that I think we do need more rain. And just because I think that and you don't doesn't mean I am fabricating things...

That is what I meant to say.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home