Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Australia Day Weekend 2008

Well another Australia Day long weekend has been and gone. And I pretty much spent the entire weekend doing classic cliche Australian activities. Not necessarily by design either, it just kinda happened that way.

The weekend started with a night of drinks at a mate from footy's house. This night included the classic Aussie night at a mate's elements of beer, pizza and sports. Both darts and Table Tennis were in full swing at stages and I pretty much sucked at both. Started well on the table tennis with Benny as a pairing and won our first match but then got soundly beaten about 4 times in a row after that. Mainly due to me I must say.

Saturday was a classic "get out into the sunshine" day and fittingly was done on Australia Day. Bee and Coline had organised a picnic and beach day for us and so we all piled into my car earlyish Saturday morning and headed off. Not caring where we ended up we just drove North and ended up deciding on Mooloolaba. Popping out of the car at Alexandra Headland we pulled up a piece of shade under a tree and laid out the goodies. Nice work on the preparations girls! Was awesome! A couple of hours of swimming and beaching later and we were ready for ice cream. Then the drive home. Great day even if I was pretty shattered at the end of it.

Sunday saw another reasonably hot Summer day arrive, which have been somewhat few and far between lately. It also saw me standing for long periods in the middle of Yeronga Football Club's Field #2 chasing a small piece of red leather around. Both my and the opposition's teams for 20/20 cricket were quiet short on players, meaning lots of gaps in the field. Dinner that night with a few of Bee's friends ended up with a night of board games and drinks (one of which I spilt all over the lounge room carpet near me) back at ours.

Monday we headed over to Dunc's for a "shed warming". How classicly cliche is sitting around in a backyard shed, watching cricket, playing pool while drinking beers and eating BBQ food can you get? Don't forget the obligatory cricket on the road with a plastic outdoor chair for stumps and the classic rules of not being allowed to put your beer down and one hand one bounce in effect.

All in all it was a pretty busy but awesome weekend. And as I've said lots of classic Aussie activities were performed. I feel that I've done my bit to celebrate my country's birthday with her and she blessed me with some classic Aussie weather for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home