Friday, February 22, 2008

Personal Analysis

Well this week has been a right royal shit. My blood was boiling a number of times and I even had it out with my boss on one issue. I later relented somewhat on my stance but basically it's not been a good week.

One interesting thing that is happening at work is an initiative by my new(ish) manager to work on some of the "team" issues we're having. Basically I don't think, and I think he agrees, we function as a team. We're a bunch of individuals with individual agendas and individual interests. This, more often than not, leads to issues with people protecting their own interests, namely not getting involved in tricky or messy work, to the detriment of someone else. Which builds friction and angst. There is also a deep history of stuff going on in this team.

Soooo one thing he has done is brought in this guy who does this kind of thing from elsewhere in QT and we've all done a few various personality tests. This is, to start with, to help us understand ourselves better and then we can move on to understanding others and their issues, how they react to things, why they react that way etc etc in order to help us work together better.

Sure it all sounds like a wankfest and I largely thought so but I've actually found it deeply fascinating. Reading my profiles according to the different tests I'm largely finding them disturbingly accurate. When I say disturbing I don't mean I am disturbed by the results, I'm reasonably comfortable with acknowledging who I am, but disturbing that it's so accurate.

It also is fascinating in there were a few things that I immediately didn't recognise as "me" but when I thought about it realised it was pretty much straight on. Not a real large eye opener but sitting back and looking at a profile of your personality, how others see you, what your perceived strengths and weaknesses are... well... I found it fascinating. As I believe I've said a few times now :p

Ultimately I'm not going to change my life out of it or try to change who I am but I think it might help adjust a few perceptions I have about myself and at least let me be a bit more aware of my reactions to events/situations and maybe better understand why I react that way.

I'd love to do this kind of thing with my friends etc just to see how they come out... just not sure everyone would be into it... and I appreciate it's not everyone's cup of tea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home