Monday, February 25, 2008

Weekend of sport and sun.

Surprisingly right now I'm not as tired as I thought I would be. Don't get me wrong I am quite tired but not more so than normal for a Monday.

This weekend saw me participating in a lot of sporting action which required long periods of sun exposure at the hottest times of the day. Not only am I not as tired as expected but I managed, I think, to escape without sunburn. Which, for anyone that knows me, is pretty hard to do. Hell I get sunburnt going out to check the mailbox!

Saturday was hot, ridiculously hot, and was a return to a classic Qld Summer Day. I believe the forecast was for 36 and I fully believe it went there, if not further.

Edit: I wrote the above sentence and then read this quote on a Courier Mail news story:

"Yesterday's conditions were mild compared to Saturday's, when Brisbane's mercury hit 40.2C – the city's hottest day since February 22, 2004."

What a day to have our first Practice Match of the year! Being in the 3rds we hit the field first for the first quarter @ 1pm when the match started, even better timing! We all had sweat dripping off our bodies before we'd even left the sheds. Boy was it hot.

Awesomely I was chosen to start at Centre Half Forward, which of course I was stoked about. Unfortunately with a mix of experience in the line up I played there for the first little bit before a senior player swapped with me so I ended up at Full Forward. The ball didn't head in my direction many times but got out on a lead, and even doubled back once or twice and led again, a few times. Think I managed one touch for the quarter, but with the disclaimer the ball wasn't arriving inside our 50 very frequently.

The ressies came on for the 2nd quarter and I sat on the bench in the shade largely thankful to be out of the sun. Also awesomely I got a call up about halfway through to swap on into the ressies team. Down to Full Forward again unfortunately and apart from getting a nice close up look at a massive collision which left two players on the ground for a long period, not much happened. I think I got even less chances at the pill than in the first quarter. So all in all I didn't get much of a chance to do any impressing and I think that's going to hurt me. Was very frustrated for the rest of the day and still am. I hope I get served up another chance to impress over the next couple of weeks.

To back up the footy match I played the 20/20 Grand Final in our comp yesterday. Again @ 12pm so right in the hot spot of the day. Wasn't quite as hot as the day before, in fact it was noticeably cooler, but it was still quite warm. Losing the toss we were sent in and with our regular opener missing Brad and I strode out to open the batting. Brad lasted a few balls before being dismissed, not sure he was happy about having to open and being proven right that he's not that good at it.

I latched onto a couple of balls in a row for a typical Jorgo start to an innings with consecutive boundaries. Unfortunately I continued the usual trend and got out next ball. In Warehouse that was my trademark, 4-4-out! And I'm unhappy to say that particular trend still surfaces from time to time.

Wickets fell regularly and we were really struggling. I believe at the halfway point of 10 overs were about 5 for 39 and looking in big trouble. Gaz, our regular opener, arrived and came in at the end and blasted a quickfire 24 off 14 to limp our total to 77. It wasn't going to be enough against this outfit (which included Mo) we all thought.

However we blew them away early and after about 5 overs they were 5 for 12. At the halfway point they were a measly 5 for 19 with a run rate of 1.9. Needing about 5.8 runs per over to win from here we thought if we kept it tight we'd be in with a showing.

A couple of partnerships took up and while they weren't scoring well enough the fact we weren't getting them out was beginning to worry us. We did keep it very, very tight and I think largely that's what eventually won us the game.

It came down to the last couple of overs with them needing about 20 off 12. A boundary and a couple of 2s meant I think they headed into the last over and a half needing about 12 off 8 with a sole wicket left. That last little partnership was a good one for them as they'd gotten it down from about 28 to 12 to win.

A couple of dot balls early in the last had us pumped up and sure enough the batsman took off down the pitch charging our bowler who hit the stumps and we'd won it! Defending 77 against a team of that caliber wasn't feasible but we did it! Back to back Premiers in the 20/20 competition for the Footy Boys! Yeeeha!

A few quiet drinks followed as we celebrated our success. I was very, very thirsty post match and two Jim Beam and Cola cans disappeared before I realised what I was doing. But boy did they feel good... what a weekend of sport and sun. Now I need a weekend of rest to catch up on all the stuff I didn't get to do this weekend!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home