Friday, January 12, 2007

Survival

I feel like getting a T-shirt with "I survived a PreSeason Training Session" printed on it. I went last night, and more importantly, I survived.

There was an interesting assortment of activities at the session with the main emphasis being on running, and lots of it. There was also a lot of players turning up which even the coach intimated was a positive sign. I'd hazard a guess that there was roughly 35-40 players training which was pretty good to see.

It was obvious early, and more so later on, that the things I need to work on are the things I always knew I needed to work on. Primarily my stamina and increasing my ability to run for longer periods of time without stopping. I have been putting in some effort towards that and had thought I was making good progress, now I'm not so sure. When it comes to progress there is no doubt I have made some, it's now just an issue of it's still not enough. I guess deep down I knew it wouldn't be but I was kind of hoping to be able to make a better impression. I'll continue to strive at it and work at it though and I'm sure one day it'll be reasonable at least.

The other things I need to think about, and work at, are the other obvious requirements of AFL players. Speed and strength. I don't think I will ever be fast so I'm not deluding myself into that but I think a combination of losing a fair bit of weight and increasing leg muscle strength should help with speed. Strength will have to come through hard work, I don't think I want to join a gym as two nights a week of training and games etc will take up enough of my life as it is. I'll try to do more pushups, situps, dips, squats etc at home. Might buy a cheap weights kit for home or something...

Anyway I'm feeling surprisingly okay after last night, it certainly wasn't the "world of pain" I thought it would be... although I think that's not that far off. I'll continue to push myself hard during the training to get the most out of it and run/do other exercise in my own time to help out too. Maybe one day I'll even look like an AFL player and not just some bum in off the street!

1 Comments:

At 8:10 PM, Blogger Scotto said...

Mick sounds like you are going pretty well with training. Good idea on the push ups, and general strength exercises! They always help.

One other thing I found that works, that will build you up quick is doing heavy weights on your legs once a week. I know you said you don't want to join a gym, but maybe you could go once a week and just pay.

Squats, leg press, leg curls, lunges, and many more that will not only build strength, but will burn 100s if not 1000s of calories both while exercising and recovering. Doing your legs hard also helps to send the hormones in the body in the right direction as well.

Maybe when I get back from Germany if you are interested we give it a go.

Good work on giving AFL a go. It is certainly a tough sport!! See you soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home